Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Sixth Birthday

It was a beautiful, hot, sunny day on April 19, 1987. The weather was lovely with a calm, gentle breeze off and on. Not only was it my sixth birthday, but it was also Easter. My niece, nephew, and a few of my cousins and friends came to celebrate my birthday with me. I received so many gifts, as well as a delicious birthday cake. We also had the traditional Easter egg hunt. It was an exciting, fun-filled afternoon; we were all playing and had fun. After we had the cake, and I opened all the gifts, we were going to have our Easter egg, for which none of the kids could wait. While the grown-ups went outside to hide the eggs, we had to stay inside so we could not peak. Unbeknownst to everyone else, I had secretly been seeing where the grown-ups were hiding the eggs. I was so anxious to get out there, especially since I knew where the first egg I wanted was hidden. It was hidden by a huge tree in our front yard. Determined to get that egg first, I prepared myself to get it. I was ready to push through the other kids, which would ensure that I went out first.
It was almost time for the adults to let us hunt for the eggs. We children waited patiently, yet anxiously, for the grown-ups to give the word. No one was more anxious than I was, though. I knew where the first egg was, and I was ready to go and get it. It felt so good knowing something the other kids were unaware of . Finally, the time came; the kitchen door opened, and it was time to hunt for the eggs. The moment my sister opened the door, I pushed past all the other kids, and ran toward that tree as if I were in the Olympics. I could hear in the background, “There he goes.” I ran for dear life to the tree and snatched up the first egg, the one by the large tree in our front yard. I was so happy and excited to get the egg first; it was all part of the plan. By the end of the afternoon, I found fourteen eggs. I showed them to everyone, while my cousin, who was five days older than me, scowled at me. I did not care; I had the most eggs, it was my birthday, and I had fun.
I will never forget my sixth birthday. It is one of my fondest memories; I will always remember how happy I was and how much fun I had. As if it were yesterday, I still think about it from time to time. It was my favorite birthday ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment